Van Ellen + Sheryn Architects were approached by the owners of Whitehouse services to assist in expanding and improving their already successful, family run business.
Located on the edge of Dartmoor, on the Southbound A30, heading towards Okehampton, Whitehouse Services currently operates a fuel filling station and roadside cafe. The current facilities have poor roadside access and are generally in need of refurbishment and expansion.
A planning application was submitted to Dartmoor National Park Planning Authority for the following;
- Expand and re position the location of the petrol filling pumps. Improve forecourt safety and separation between HGVs and general motorists.
- Make alterations to the existing access, closing off the existing position and providing a safer and more appropriately located single point of entry into the site.
- Allow the existing Convenience Store building to become exclusively a high quality convenience store associated with the forecourt only.
- Provide a new Services Building to include a large convenience store, restaurant, and express food and beverage zones and a tourist information area.
- Increase and improve WC provision.
Due to its location at the edge of the Dartmoor National Park the design of the services building is sensitive to its surroundings using natural materials such as locally sourced stone, timber cladding and a zinc roof.
Determination is expected in February 2017.